Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Parenting Stuggles


She opens her mouth in wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.

–Proverbs 31:26

This past week, in the job of parenting, it has been pretty rough. Kristofer has been really testing me when I tell him not to do something. Instead of making him have a time out for his offence I have been letting it slide and then getting so upset I start yelling. With Kristofer, if you yell, it just makes him more out of control.

After talking to my mom and sister, and crying my eyes out last night, I have learned that if it gets to the point that I am yelling then I have not done my job in disciplining my son and it IS my fault. I don’t feel alone anymore or like I am a “failing” parent. I just have to buckle down and work a little harder this week.

Today is a new day and I am starting over. We have already had a few instances where he did not listen and had to take a time out. It is amazing how much smother the day goes when we are all calm. I am also remembering that I do not have to be a “perfect” parent just a “good” parent.

To anyone else who may be struggling: Stay strong! It won’t last forever!

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.

-Proverbs 22:6

No comments: