Sunday, October 14, 2012

Cooking in the Camper

I am trying to use my crock-pot often in the camper, so when we have had a full day of touring we can eat immediately. Our mornings can be challenging because my kids like to eat pretty soon after waking up. Me on the other hand, I need a minute just to get my eyes opening and functioning so I decided to make this crock-pot breakfast casserole.

1lb breakfast sausage
1 pepper (green, orange or red)
1 small onion
1 small bag hash brown cubes
1 bag shredded cheddar
1 dozen eggs
1/2 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown one pound of breakfast sausage and drain on paper towels, BUT keep the grease in the pan.


2. Saute the chopped pepper and onions in the reserved sausage grease until soft. Drain on a paper towel.

SPRAY THE CROCK-POT with cooking spray. DO NOT forget this step or you will hate clean up. Layer hashbrowns, sausage, peppers & onions, and cheese a few times.


Whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper and pour over layered casserole.


When we woke up in the morning we had a fabulous breakfast and all I had to do was dish it up. Lots of thumbs up around here!


One of our kiddos has a dairy allergy so I substituted almond milk and left the cheese out. I topped everyone's casserole individually with the cheese they could have. 

No comments: